I actually got a little chilly on Wednesday night after playing some pickup hoops. Summer will end soon. And winter is coming (but not Game of Thrones, not for many months, sadly). Onto the links.
* I love this. The very first issues of 17 famous magazines, from Time to People to ESPN the Magazine. Designs change just a bit.
* Bryan Goldberg, who created Bleacher Report, is starting a new website for women. People have not been impressed.
* Some guy in Bolivia might be 123 years old. These oldest people in the world stories always enthrall me, even though they’re all exactly the same and many times you don’t know whether it’s even true. “Look, old person. How do they do it?” “I walk. Drink. Eat.”
* Great story on Zander Hollander, who edited the old NBA and MLB Handbooks back in the day. I still have five or six basketball ones in boxes in my parents’ house. Here’s what I wrote about the books a few years ago.
* Grantland has the square’s guide to the Kendrick Lamar call-out situation, the biggest story in rap at the moment.
* Steve Kerr thinks he has found a way to fix the NBA Draft Lottery and eliminate tanking.
* The Babe Ruth 13-year-old World Series is being held in a North Dakota boom town, creating an odd situation. Our old pal Dave Kolpack has the story.