Happy Labor Day weekend. I’ll be laboring on Monday, but what can you do against the man? On to the links.
* This shouldn’t make me chuckle as much as it does. New Yorker Cartoons with literal captions. Includes the famous pig complaining cartoon from Seinfeld.
* It was The Onion’s 25th birthday on Thursday. Here are 10 of its best headlines.
* Tom Ziller on what Ricky Rubio ought to be as a player. (Hint: More like Luke Ridnour. No, not really).
* One of my favorite columnists has always been T.J. Simers at the LA Times. Simers hasn’t written since June. No one knows if he’s suspended, fired, on leave or what. Longtime colleague Mark Heisler details the situation.
* Some headlines just tell us where we’re at as a people in the year 2013. Like this one: Creator of the Foam Finger Deeply Upset with Miley Cyrus.
* Sports analytics pioneer Jeff Sagarin gave a rare interview to Sports Illustrated.
* The ESPN ombudsman weighs in on the Frontline flap.
* The Seattle Times lays out the humble beginnings of U.S. soccer star Clint Dempsey.