Hope you and yours had the independent-est of Independence Days. Imagine this edition of The Tapes, our weekly links, to be printed in red, white and blue:
* Two Boston men are believed to be HIV-free after bone-marrow transplants, according to The New York Times. That’s got Story of the Year potential.
* Also in The Times, a dude got kicked out of Nirvana and Soundgarden only to wind up as a war hero. You know, that old yarn. The guy that used to be in The Beatles officially is an underachiever.
* HBO will be rolling out a new flick starring Larry David and Jon Hamm. Yes, please.
* Fury here. I think I’ve linked to this before but here you go. Video of a guy going around NYC reciting Bill Pullman’s speech from Independence Day. Of course I’ll link to it next year.
* Front page of Philly newspaper when the U.S. won the Revolutionary War. Strangely, the Phillies game from that night was actually the main item.
* Fun interview with Chuck Klosterman in Esquire. His new book comes out on Tuesday. Yes I will buy it that day.