Welcome to this week’s sizzling links, each hotter than the last.
* I sent this story to family members who are out in the sun all summer and scoff at sunscreen. It’s Sports Illustrated writer Tim Layden — one of the best in the business — writing about his battle with skin cancer and his new nose.
* Great news for Twins fans. Carlos Gomez is now one of the best players in baseball. It’s going to kill my dad in a few years when the same article’s written about Trevor Plouffe, who will be tearing it up in Arizona.
* A few days old but needs to be seen again, the epic double flop by LeBron James and David West.
* Will Leitch in the Bay with Stephen Curry. Leitch is also doing a series of podcasts from the Bay as part of a tour of America. Some good listens in in the bunch.
* In the mood to be scared out of your mind? Then read about coronavirus, a SARS-like disease that some see as a threat to the entire world. So we’ve got that going for us.
* This week marked the 28th anniversary of a soccer disaster that killed 39 people in Belgium – the Heysel Stadium disaster. Here’s one fan’s take.
* The podcast of the week award goes to … Radiolab for its show about a pair of married journalists in Tampa and their experience having a micropremie. Sound familiar? Modern medicine is incredible.